On this page, you will find the 10 Best TOEFL Prep Books and Online Resources of 2023.
TOEFL is an English proficiency test used primarily by universities in the United States. The main goal of the TOEFL is to determine whether you can study at a foreign university where English is the primary language.
Unlike IELTS, the TOEFL only assesses your academic English. If you plan to take the TOEFL, investing in a good prep book or online course is the first step toward studying at an international university.
There are hundreds of different books and courses in the market that promise perfect results but not all of them will actually give the promised results. This is Vastlearners have made a list of the 10 best TOEFL books and other online resources.
You must understand both the material and the test when preparing for the TOEFL. A TOEFL prep book is an invaluable tool for helping you master both. There are numerous options available, but how do you know which is best for your needs and study style?
10. TOEFL Pocket Vocabulary by Kaplan
TOEFL Pocket Vocabulary by Kaplan is the 10th book you checkout for if you are searching for the best TOEFL books for the best result.
This book is not exactly a comprehensive TOEFL prep book but a pocket vocabulary book that contains the most common 600 words that you will encounter on TOEFL. It also features 420 idioms as well as practice questions.
- More than 500 words and more than 400 idioms in flashcard-like page design
- Definitions, parts of speech, and sample sentences for each word to help you learn the meanings in the context
- Content is focused on higher-level vocabulary and terms related to U.S. campus life.
- Practice exercises help you test your knowledge.
9. TOEFL Preparation Book 2023-2024
This guide from Test Prep Books provides a quick but comprehensive overview of the entire test with strategies specific for each of its sections.
Aside from learning the test material, you should develop strategies for taking the test itself. With this guide from Test Prep Books, you’ll learn how to manage your time so that you can give each question your full attention.
Furthermore, the guide focuses on common ways in which people answer questions incorrectly. You can avoid making common mistakes by identifying them.
Please keep in mind that this is not a comprehensive study guide. There won’t be a plethora of sample questions and tests. Instead, it is geared toward those who understand the material but need assistance mastering the test.
- Quick Overview of the test.
- Test-Taking Strategies for a better score.
- Complete review of the Reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections.
- Practice Questions.
- Detailed Answer Explanations.
8. TOEFL iBT: 8 Online Practice Tests by Barron’s
This Barron’s TOEFL prep book is a comprehensive TOEFL prep solution. It includes eight full-length practice tests as well as a complete and detailed review of the TEOFL test’s contents.
- Eight full-length TOEFL iBT practice tests with answer explanations.
- Eight one-hour practice tests
- A review of required academic and language skills with four video lessons and a grammar review. That supports the Speaking and Writing Sections.
- An online pronunciation guide that features over 200 campus flashcards with vocabulary terms, .and example sentences.
- MP3 audio files online for all prompts.
- A general overview of the TOEFL iBT.
- PowerPoint review presentations with handouts and resources for tutors and teachers.
7. Princeton Review TOEFL iBT Prep
The Princeton Review TOEFL Prop Book is ideal for students with a solid understanding of the material but who need help organizing the information so they can recall it during test-taking.
You will also find a complete review of basic grammar and explain all the core TOEFL
- Step-by-step strategies for every section of the exam.
- One full-length simulated TOEFL iBT with accompanying audio sections on CD
- Lessons on how to identify the main ideas of a passage or lecture.
- Tips on how to effectively organize your thoughts.
- Grammar review to brush up on the basics.
- Expert subject reviews for the core concepts of the TOEFL iBT.
- Comprehensive guidance on how to write a high-scoring essay.
6. TOEFL Preparation Book by Mometrix
Mometrix’s book is a comprehensive guide to all the sections of the TOEFL test. but their TOEFL and IELTS guides are very well regarded. Their TOEFL prep contains a practice test question with detailed explanations and step-by-step video tutorials that are available online.
- Practice test questions with detailed answer explanations.
- Step-by-step video tutorials to help you master difficult concepts.
- Tips and strategies to help you get your best test performance.
- A complete review of all TOEFL test sections.
5. The Complete TOEFL iBT Success on Udemy
There are hundreds of TOEFL courses on Udemy, but the one I have chosen has over 4,500 ratings with an average of 4.5/5 stars. Maria Guryeva teaches this course, and more than 16,000 students have taken it so far. It covers the entire TOEFL test in detail, and by the end of it, there won’t be a single topic you won’t know.
- You will be able to pass the NEW TOEFL iBT test for 100 points or more.
- Complete and detailed coverage of all four sections.
- Learn tactics, strategies, and templates that make questions easy.
4. TOEFL iBT Prep Plus by Kaplan
Kaplan Prep Plus is a comprehensive TOEFL study guide that covers every aspect of the exam. It includes four full-length practice tests as well as 450 practice questions scattered throughout the book to help you retain information as you go.
From an undisputed leader in test prep, Kaplan’s TOEFL Prep Plus combines a textbook with online resources and a money-back guarantee.
3. The Official Guide to the TOEFL by ETS
The official guide from the makers of the TOEFL test includes authentic test questions, four practice tests, and a DVD with a wealth of additional study material.
Much like the previous books on this list, this guide contains four full-length TOEFL tests; however, what is unique about these tests is that they are actual TOEFL tests.
2. ETS: TOEFL Test Preparation
One of the very top courses on this list comes from the same company that makes the TOEFL test. ETS’s online course is the most authentic course on the internet. It is developed by actual TOEFL experts and features examples from past TOEFL tests.
- Developed by the experts who design the exam.
- Examples used are real past test questions.
- Advice for how to register, how the exam is scored, and how to prepare for the test day.
- Highly interactive course facilitated with videos, quizzes, and discussion boards.
- Free resources and discounts for other test prep courses included.
1. Magoosh Online Prep
Magoosh TOEFL Prep is an online course that includes detailed video lessons as well as hundreds of practice questions to help you improve your English skills.
Their online preparation courses are highly rated and have mostly positive reviews. Their TOEFL prep includes over a hundred video lessons that cover every aspect of the TOEFL exam.
Understanding the material is obviously important, but it is only the first step toward success. You must also understand the test itself, including what types of questions to expect, how to manage your time, and how the essay sections are graded.
The best TOEFL prep book includes more than just information and sample tests; it also presents those resources in a clear, engaging manner that corresponds to your preferred learning style. You can ace the TOEFL with determination, good study habits, and the right prep book by your side!